For 2017, the Duet Festival will be combined with another festival. SEE POPULAR/CONTEMPORARY FESTIVAL FOR 2017 SCHEDULING & FEE DETAILS!
FESTIVAL RULES AND GUIDELINES
- The Duet Festival is open to all teachers and contributory members of the North San Diego MTAC branch.
- There is no limit of students per teacher, but only 5 teams per teacher may participate in a single recital (festival participants will be divided into multiple recitals to avoid overly-long programs).
- Students must dress in appropriate recital attire and stay for the entire recital in which they perform.
- A limit of 10 students (5 teams) per teacher may enter. If you wish to add more students, please contact the Co-Chairs within 2 days after the deadline to see if space is still available.
- Time limits are as follows and are determined by the level of the piece:
Beginner, LPrep-3 – 4 minutes
Intermediate, L4-7 – 6 minutes
Advanced, L8-10 – 8 minutes
- Acceptable ensemble combinations:
Piano duet – 4 hands, 1 piano
Piano duet – 4 hands, 2 pianos
Piano trio – 6 hands, 1 piano
Piano quartet – 8 hands, 2 pianos
- A limit of one composition per team is allowed. One movement of a large work constitutes one composition. Arrangements are acceptable. Music must be published as a piano duet or piano quartet. Concertos are not permitted. Any genre is fine.
- Students should arrive 15 minutes prior to the scheduled performance time so that the check-in process is done properly.
- Each team must provide music for the adjudicator; no photocopies allowed.
- Students are permitted to perform with music, which must be the original score. Photocopied pages may be used to facilitate page turns. Students may perform from memory if they choose.
- Parents may play with their child, as long as the child is a student of an MTAC teacher.
- In addition to a written evaluation, each student will receive a Duet Festival participation medallion.
- Teachers who enter students in the festival will be asked to help at the event.